"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

Sunday, 29 May 2011

tenth post : culture shock experience.

Hello guys!

We've learned about a lot of cultures as we study the hospitality and tourism,right? But because there are many differences in culture, sometimes it makes us surprise And we experience culture shock!!!!!!

Would you care to share to me about have and how you experience culture shock? I have culture shock before, when i was studying in Bandung. Because of the language they're using, Sundanese. I couldn't really caught what they mean when we were talking. So, there's a lot of misunderstanding that occured. Yeah, well...

So, tell me. Have you ever experienced culture shock? How? And if you haven't, share your thoughts about culture shock, okay? Okay dong.

Can hardly wait for your comments!

Toodles!

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for interesting topic Aya ^^

    Well, as I'm foreigner, I faced several shock and unique culture shock in my new life at Indonesia. The first one would be, when first time I arrived here at Indonesia, my family and I invited to have a diner in Indonesian Restaurant, it was Padang. My family was so surprised with a man serve many plate on his hand. After that, they gave us a bowl of warm water, but we could not understand what is that for, so innocently we drink those water, but unfortunately my dad's friend told us its to clean our hand. xD

    The second one is, timing in Indonesia. It was the Next invitation by my dad's friend to take us go around Jakarta. He told us that we will meet together at 11 o'clock. So, my family and I were prepared as soon as possible. We were wait, wait and wait. and after 30-40 minutes past 11, finally my dad's friend came. And we realized that its their culture and basic waiting time in Indonesia. So from that time, our family trying to more be friendly with waiting. And now, sometimes, I do same thing like that also and I love to stay in Indonesia~

    thank you !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aya~ Thank you for the new post!! X3

    Culture shock!? I don't really pay attention if what I experienced might be a culture shock or not. It's kind of same with Aya, I once lived in Bandung and the language was something that made me uncomfortable and confused. Although my friends would talk to me in Indonesian, but they sometimes include Sundanese suddenly. It's hard to understand what they meant, especially I didn't know a bit about Sundanese.

    Another culture shock I have experienced is when I entered university. Our character building teacher once said that culture shock is not only when we came to different country or region but when we entered new environment. Before I entered university, since kindergarten to senior high school, I studied in Christian based school where 99% of the students have Chinese lineage and mostly the religions are Christian, Buddhist, or Hindu. I've never met or befriended with people around my age with other religion beside those three (or have I? I don't remember~), so when I entered university I kind of shock with the differences. I really didn't mean any offence from this. But after some time, I could slowly accept the differences and didn't have any weird feeling to talk or be close with the other.

    P.S.: I don't mean to offence or discriminate you guys. But I really had a culture shock back then. The differences were new for me. I am sorry if you feel offended. *bow*

    That's all from me :) Thank you~
    Love you, guys <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you Aya for the topic!!

    As for me, I have experienced a lot of culture shock in Jakarta...

    As you guys already knew, I came from Malang, which is a small town in the eastern part of Java Island. ALthough Jakarta and Malang are located in the same island, the people in Jakarta and the people in Malang speak in different way... The people in Malang speak in Javanese language. So when I first moved to Jakarta, I tried to speak in proper Indonesian language, but a lot of people will directly guessed that am coming from somewhere from Central Java or East Java.. that's because when I talk, i still got the javanese accent in it... But I tried to get used to speak in Bahasa...

    The second thing is about the relation with each other. In jakarta, people live individually, they don't really care about other people, while in Malang, everyone is connected, everyone seems to know each other. It's like you go to every place and you can always find someone who knows you or the other way around. And it feels so nice to have a brief conversation when we run to each other.

    Other than communication, the thing that bothers me much is the traffic jam in Jakarta.... It's indeed very annoying. In Malang, you can rarely find traffic jam. The traffic jam only happens when there's a big events or town celebration. Other than that, the city is free from traffic jam and also pollution!

    Although I had difficulties to adapt to the new environment of Jakarta at the first time, I start love Jakarta now... The key is just to get used and to enjoy every single thing in here...

    that's it from me, I look forward to read another comments....
    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Aya for the topic.

    I have the same problem with Cilia. The first time I moved to Jakarta, it is really shocking. I Came from Semarang which is in Central Java. I used to speak in javanese. But here in Jakarta, I must start to use Indonesian more often. That's quite hard for me. 1-2 months I used to ask my friends about the word that I use, it is Indonesian or Javanese. It's so confusing at first, but now it's okay. I get used to it.

    Enjoy the differences of the culture make you see a broader image of life. That's what I can say.. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks aya for the topic this week!

    Well, i think i always experience culture shock when i'm moving to new environments. In my opinion, There's always something that needs to be considered before taking actions in a new environment, because there were probably such things in the previous environment that might seem like an ordinary thing to do, but then it becomes the most whimsical thing to do in the new environment.

    All we need to do is to adapt ourselves to that new environment especially in term of customs. We may find it hard, but i guess that's the only way to be mingled, isn't it?

    SEE YA!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank You Aya for the nice topic..

    Almost every single area in the world has different culture. We don’t need to go abroad to find different culture. In other areas in Indonesia we can find the differences as well. The differences that we usually find are in terms of behavior, greetings, eye contact, dress, respect, and manner. These kind of differences are exist because of their perseption, religion, weather, situation, and condition. I will give you an experience that happened in my life.

    When I was 5th grade in elementary school, I went to Beijing, China. I stayed 2 nights in a 5 stars hotel. At around 7 a.m I went to restaurant for having breakfast but unfortunately the tableseats were full. So, I had to wait for a while. A few minutes later, the waiter called me in English to sit on a chair where the table was still being cleaned by another waiter. When I saw it, I tried to help her to arrange the cuttleries. At that time I didn;’t understand how to arrange properly the cuttleries, so I took them in the wrong position. The waiter saw what I did and told me something very loud in Chinese. I was so shocked because she looked angry to me. I immediately stopped to help her and kept quiet. I felt so hurt because I just did little mistake but why she became so angry like that. When my family and I were in the bus. I share my story to my mother. My mother just laughed and told me that Chinese usually talked loudly. Never be shocked if they were talking like that.

    Devina
    ^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. thx aya!

    i do agree with risyad that culture shock do happens.

    In my experience, i do once experience culture shock. When i went to Hong Kong, i was really shocked that the people there do speak LOUD with angry tone and during serving the food, they were like throwing the plate and bowl. It does shock me for a time, but luckily my friend were told me that it is their way to act.FIUHH!

    anyways, culture shared a different of pattern a behavior and interaction. All we need is to respect them~ :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. First, is the culture shock when I came back to Jakarta for Middle School. is the people. I studied in Singapore for my primary school years in Singapore, and when I came back to Jakarta, I start to realize the difference of cultures in both countries. Indonesians are way more friendly compared to the Singaporeans. People here are more approachable and united. In Singapore, I guess its because of their strong competitions, they tend to be more individualistic.

    Second, is during my trip to the US three years ago. Since its a home stay, I need to adapt to their way of living. People there are really aware of the environment issues and really implement it in their life. Groceries and house equipments, there are just so many things that amazed me. Indonesia should definitely learn. Its something that we should start implementing in our daily life.

    Another one on walking distance. I was heading out to the shopping centre for the first time, my host parents told me that its just a walking distance, so I decided to walk there. HOWEVER, its a LONG LONG LONG walk there. I've got to emphasize again, its SUPER FAR! Their walking distance and our walking distance has a very big difference. This is because the infrastructure in Indonesia do not really encourage people to walk, as the pedestrian path along the road are very small and not always available. People will prefer to take public transport or use their own transportation. Unlike in the US where they walk a lot, even if they have their own transportation. The last is about tipping. We have to tip everything there.

    Culture varies from country to country and even from generation to generation. I think it is a good thing to know other cultures to adapt the good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I've been experience the culture shock when I was graduate from Junior High School. I'm studying in Jakarta until Junior high school and i move to Bandung at senior high school.

    first, i think it will be easy. because im a sundanese. but i was wrong. the environment was different, and they languange are different than what i was using. as the time goes by, i can adapt my self for learn about their culture.

    and when i move back here, studying at binus. i've got another culture shock again! well, we probably experience the culture shock in every new place. but don't panic, just be your self and people will love you.

    XOXO,GG

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you aya the for post
    first i feel culture shock when i was in jogja for the first time, when i back to my hometown to celebrate idul fitri, all my family in Jogjakarta never says a rude word, and always use Javanese language, and always polite. ya as you know Jakarta sometimes used rude word and have a lot different from Jogjakarta, the economic and many more.my live so simple in jogjakarta, the food, the transportation, the house, the language and many more. to faced i tried to learn about cultures in Jogjakarta, i tried to speak Javanese language because honestly i dont uderstand what their saying. even though i still cannot speak javanese language i can speak several words,and tried traditional transportation which is becak. sometimes me and my family choose to walking rather than rided becak when we going somewhere.
    the building in jogjayakarta is simple cause of the economic at jogja still low,however now i love being there and now i enjoy doing my activities at jogja, and i can't wait to back there.

    that my experience. see yaaahh

    ReplyDelete
  11. i ever experience the culture shock when i was joined ef program to Australia with my sister.

    i stay there for 1 week 4 days, at my host parent house they don't have any maid, so we have to put our cloth at some place and then we have to put it at washing machine, i though that was an experienced to life independent.

    after that, if we want to take shower we have to put some timer not more that 10 or 5 minutes, is because they doing the save water world project, well that's very positive thing to do and you have to know something! at their bathroom, they don't provide us some tissue and water at that place, so i have to go to shower room first and then go to bathroom place.

    for their dinner time is before 7pm or exactly 7pm, its good! its like diet time for me, ahahahha and then they driving style is really drive me nuts, even though its raining my host parent drove really fast and she is a grandma!! OMIGOD!

    well that's all my story based on my experienced when i stayed at Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all of your comments, guys. Definitely opened something on my brain (not exaggerating, k?). Laff yah goeuuyzzz

    ReplyDelete